Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Cognitivism in Practice


        I use graphic organizers to help students learn vocabulary words. I have the students draw a frayer model and complete it independently. The way I use the model is that one box is for the definition, another for example, then the student put the definition in their own words and finally the students draw a memory cue. I make my students take note and I underline the important parts for them to write. I feel that if students write it, hear it, and do it they will retain it longer. I do not teach while students are writing. Students cannot process what they are writing and trying to listen at the same time. I find it best to teach and then write. The technology component that I use consists of a short video like brainpops. I try to use a varied of videos from united streaming.
      There are several strategies that can be done to help students process information. As educator we need to determine what works best for our students.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you when you mention that if students write it, hear it and do it they will retain it longer. I feel that it helps the brain make those connections. When i am going over how my students use a saw to cut a piece of wood. I explain it to them, they then describe it to me, then i show them and then they show me how to use the saw correctly to cut the piece of wood. It is amazing how fast they pick up on certain pieces of information. Many of my students' parent's have used the tools while my students were watching. Once i mention that saw it seems that almost every student has a story about the time their parent cut this or that. I use many cues and questions to help my students understand the material i am going over. To keep my students engaged and involved, i have many volunteers which i find sometimes teach the material better than i do or i pick up on a way to teach from them. Also i find that sometimes the students develop a better connection to the material when it is coming from a peer rather than a superior. Videos are great tools to use unless they are too drawn out and boring. I use some videos but i find that i either have to cut them short to summarize when the video is saying while it is playing to keep my students on task.

    ReplyDelete