Thursday, October 6, 2011

Social & Cooperative Learning


Social learning and cooperative learning are very similar. They both have students work together in way to enhance their knowledge in a particular area. Student are able to get a better understand and construct meaning for the new knowledge. Social Learning cooperative is part of the 21st century thinking skills. Students must be able to think critical, and work together to solve a problem.  I like to put my students in cooperative groups because sometimes students are the best teachers. There have been times that only a few students mastered a concept. I would take the students who mastered it and group them with struggling students. They were the teacher for the day. Eventually, everyone will get a chance to become the teacher for the day. The students really enjoy being the teacher. The student teachers are able to reach most of the students.   When I group kids for an assignments each student has an important part in one student doesn’t complete their part then the project will be incomplete. I don’t like to assign parts like time keeper, recorder, and facilitator. I feel the laziest person in the group would select time keeper, the best writer recorder, and the bossiest person facilitator. Instead, my groups assignments are multitask and each student is responsible for completing their part. Social learning and cooperative learning is effective when used correctly.

Voice Thread

5 comments:

  1. Comment on your voicethread.

    I have to agree with you that there is so much to deal with being a teacher. I find that some days are just so heckic with behavior problems or meetings all day that it seems like i never get anything done. Thank god i have two prep periods because i sure would not get all my planning done for six classes in one period. I guess unless there is major change in contracts, we will be doing what we always have been for the next 30 years. I love teaching and feel that this is what i was meant to do but some days i am so drained that i do not want to go back to work. Seems like the more we try and do, the less we are applauded. I believe in what i am doing and will always try and make any of my students lives better if i can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never thought about the thinking that could be going on in the minds of students when choosing their jobs. When I have small groups, I usually tell them if they have already been timer person, they cannot chose that job again, until they have done all of the jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Ben,
    I also feel so drained most days and think about calling in sick. The only thing that stop me from calling in is that I putting my class behind in a day of instruction. I also deal with several behavior problems and I feel that what takes all my energy. I'm not use to fussing for almost 8 hours straight. I have one planning period and most days it taken up by meeting and parents. So days I wish I could go hide some where and get my work done. In my situation thing would be 100% if the school got behavior issue under control.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Marisa,
    When I put students into group I kinda think about how students participate in groups when I was in school. Most students want the easiest job to do and other shy away from the one that will show their weakness. No matter how we group students and what jobs we assigned them each member must be working together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alicia,
    I know that, as a student, I would have a hard time being the presenter. But had I had multiple experiences in which I had to present, I think that it would have become easier for me to do. To this day, I still get flustered when I have to speak in front of adults. Speaking in front of children is way easier for me to do!

    Marisa

    ReplyDelete