Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Game Plan


My first goal is to design and develop digital-age learning experiences and assessments to help make learning grammar more meaningful for my students. I plan to incorporate more technology to help my student learn and practice identifying the parts of speech. I will search the internet for cartoon like video and use the School House Rock videos more often. I usually select the School House Rock videos that interest me but I will now allow my student to determine the videos. The internet has several of interactive parts of speech games that can be incorporated into my lesson which will keep the student engaged in the lesson. Creating online assessments will allow the students as well as me instant feedback on the students understanding. I tend to use paper assessments and sometimes it’s difficult to return papers back the following day. To monitor my progress I plan to implement at least on video, game, and assessments to each lesson. I will evaluate my learning based on how well by student performed on their assessment compared to previous assessments.

My second goal is to model digital-age work and learning. I have a school webpage that is not being use. It should be used to promote student learning and be a way for parents to communicate with me. I plan to update my webpage with useful links for student and parents. I would like to include online programs that are provided by the school that students have access to at home. It’s important to provide parents with the resources that are being used in class. The parents can use information to help reinforced what is taught at school. I would like to use my website to communicate with parents. I plan to start small and update my webpage at least once a week with a link. Since, the school year is almost over I will spend the summer adding links and videos for the topic that will be taught the 1st 9 weeks. To monitor my progress I plan to keep a weekly log.  I will evaluate my success by if I updated my webpage weekly.

5 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of adding a resource page to your website. This is something I did not think of before but think is a great idea and one that I would like to try. I have had many parents in the past not remember how to do the math problems their children were bringing home or not understanding what types of projects I was expecting. This could be a place that has links to websites that provide this information.
    One suggestion that I could offer in regards to your first goal would be to possibly have podcasts or opportunities for students to hear the grammar expected and be able to produce their understandings verbally. This would give students who do better when talking through their understandings a chance to do so!

    Lisa Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many great websites to help you search for kid-friendly videos. Zui.com is a teacher-filtered video site that has a lot of fantastic videos. What is great is that you can feel comfortable with having your students search videos on that site because it is teacher-approved. Two other great sites if you are teaching about animals are Oceanfootage.com and Naturefootage.com. Both sites have fantastic stock footage of any animal you could think of.

    A great online assessment tool that I use all the time is Socrative.com. I wrote a blogpost on it here: http://easyteachingtechtips.wordpress.com/2011/12/06/socrative-an-online-quizzing-tool/. This site gives you instant feedback and emails you the results in a spreadsheet.

    Having links on your school website is a fantastic idea. My students have computers at each of their tables and I have them use my site (http://www.mrsholland.com/) as basically their ‘bookmark bar’. We use twitter in our classroom which also allows me to share links with my students. Anything you can do to share great resources with yours students and their families is great!

    Allie Holland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post Alicia! You've got some really great goals set for yourself. Do you have a SMART Board? If so, you should check out the smart exchange website for some really great teaching tools and interactive lessons. Our goals sound very similar and with assessment, I plan to use iRespond mnore often with my kids and I also plan to create more project-based assessments using rubrics. I didn't include my website goal in my initial blog post, but after reading your post I should've because that is also a goal that I have for myself. I don't feel that I utilize my classroom website the way that I should. I think we're all ready for summer break so that we can really dig deeper into all of the new knowledge we have from Walden to use in our classrooms next year! :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @ Lo I do have a smart board. Thanks for the website. I'm very excited about planning for next school year. There are some many things I have learned and would like to incorporate into the classroom.

      @ Allie Thanks for the resources

      @ Lisa Do you have any suggestion for podcast websites that are good for the classroom.

      Delete
    2. You can use the Smart Exchange website now. There are pre-ready lessons on the website. If you are looking for a lesson on prepositions, you simply go to the website and type in your grade level and lesson topic. I modify the lessons to fit the needs of my students. My students love it when I use the pre-ready Smart board lessons from Smart Exchange.

      You could add great websites on your class website. I have a tab on my class website with Educational LInks. I also post current projects on the website. I send out emails with my website link on their for parents to refer to the project updates.

      Have you registered at discoveryeducation.com? The website is free. This website is great because there are thousands of good video (clips and full episodes) for the classroom on various topics. There are also good quizzes at the end of a lot of the videos.
      Cami

      Delete